Fall into Wellness Plant Based Potluck
Tuesday, October 17, 2017 at 6:00 p.m.
South Fork Natural History Museum
377 Bridge/Sag Turnpike, Bridehampton
Come Taste, Enjoy & Learn about the Power of Plants to Heal our Body!
Enjoy a palette pleasing variety of heart-healthy whole foods and plant-based dishes at this Wellness Foundation Community potluck dinner. Please bring a plant-based dish to share with others, a serving spoon, and a copy of your recipe, as well as a plates and utensils for you and your guests—no animal products, please.
Our Special Guests will be the owners of Harvest Food Box and they will share their personal wellness experience and give us information about their New Plant Based Food Delivery service here on the East End.
$10 suggested donation.
Super Foods for
Super Kids Series
Must Pre-register with the Library
871 Montauk Highway, Montauk
Power Up Your Plate!
Tuesday, October 17th, 3:30-4:30pm
Learn about the "super powers" of leafy greens, berries, and other super foods, as well as strategies for incorporating them into other dishes. We'll end with a green smoothie demo that everyone will enjoy!
Super (& Spooky) Snacks!
Tuesday, October 24th, 3:30-4:30pm
Healthy snacks play an important role in supporting brain and heart health. Come to be inspired by new information and ideas as well as a demo of healthy spins on Halloween favorites!
Tuesday, November 7th, 3:30-4:30pm
Discover the many benefits of boosters such as flax seeds, goji berries, turmeric, and more. We'll discuss tips for easily incorporating them into family favorites and sample a fall snack that both kids and adults will love! We'll also learn about some non-food health boosters that everyone can easily adopt.
Tuesday, November 14th, 3:30-4:30pm
Explore lesser-known grains, including naturally gluten free options, and identify delicious alternatives to refined grain products. We'll end the session by sampling some whole grain, booster-packed bites including a "healthed-up" version of a Thanksgiving staple!
Action for Healthy Kids Training
Wednesday, November 8, 2017 at
8:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m.
Parrish Memorial Hall at
Stony Brook Southampton Hospital
235 Herrick Road, Southampton
Join us for a half-day training to give your school health team members the knowledge they need to work more effectively.
This free, informative, and interactive training is designed to support school health team members in
improving policies and practices related to student health. From inspiring ideas to concrete tools, you'll leave
armed with strategies to "health up" your school!
The training is recommended for:
- School health teams or individual team members
- Active teams, teams just starting out or potential team members
- Teachers, school staff, district staff, parents and community members
Below is a brief overview of the topics and issues addressed during the training:
- Making the Case for Healthy Schools
- Learning Connection—the relationship between health and academic achievement
- Conflicting messages in the school setting with celebrations and fund raising
- Building your team—the roles and responsibilities of team members
- Responding to common questions and concerns
- School Wellness Policy 101
- School wellness policy requirements
- How to make your policy a living document
- How to Be a Change Agent
- Identify and address challenges common to teams
- Capacity development of members
- School health vision
- How to Create a Healthier School Food Culture
- Benefits & Nutrition Regulations
- School Food Culture: Best Practices
- Sharing Ideas for Action (interactive)
- How to Add More Activity into the School Day
- Considerations for all levels
- Physical Activity: Best Practices
- Sharing Ideas for Action (interactive)
- Assessing your School's Wellness Environment
- Why complete an assessment?
- Developing and Implementing an Action Plan
- Creating Sustainability
- Using Game On as a framework or for project ideas
- HUSSC Certification
- Action Planning with your Team (interactive)
- Wellness Policy Checklist
- School Readiness Checklist